Saturday 8 February 2014

The vicious circle of aches and pains.

This is bound to be one of my less popular postings, but once you stop seething at my lack of compassion it might be a good idea to take another look and contemplate the issue with an open mind.

I'm a good listener, and I find people simply love talking about their suffering. Seems to be their favourite topic. Often the only topic. I am not saying some people are not suffering, but hell, mankind cannot be in such a sorry state.  Just about everybody seems to be moaning and complaining about their special and very unique ailment.  And if they can affix an impressive-sounding label to it, so much the better:  "I got some bad medical news today - Doctor told me I've got fibro myalgia."  It has an ominous ring to it and it currently seems to be the flavour of the month. Sounds impressive - gotta have it. Lots of expensive pills, to be taken in the correct sequence and come see me again in a month.  They might even have to run some tests, too.

And then there is the old favourite "one of my headaches".  Not just any old headache, oh no - "mine".

It is a well known fact that our subconscious mind plays a major part in our well-being. With a concerted effort you can think yourself into just about any ailment of choice. Once your mind has convinced your body that it is sick, it will really be. Continuous repetition and confirmation will do it for you.  Sick as a dog, and down the vortex you go. Your life will become a misery.

The good news is that the opposite is also true.  Give it a shot and climb out of that black hole.  Greet yourself in the mirror every morning: "Good morning, Sunshine. We're going to have a great day!"  Just about everybody you meet will say "how are you?"  Then don't fall back by going "aaargh, ugh ugh..." and starting on your discourse.

"Top of the morning to you! I haven't felt this good in a long time. Is that a Cape Robin-Chat I hear? Just listen..."



  

No comments:

Post a Comment